The Gym Group is not like your average gym! To our members we’re the lowest cost nationwide 24/7 Gym with 230 gyms and counting! To our teams we are fun, welcoming, engaging and inclusive. We challenge our limits and push ourselves to impact positive change with our goals and initiatives. We take steps into new areas with a real and authentic purpose - It’s our mission to break down barriers to fitness for all.
We’re #1 in our industry when it comes to our values, our culture and our people – check out Glassdoor if you don’t believe us. We offer a fantastic place to work in a great working culture and were recognised as #25 in the Top 50 places to work in the UK in 2022!
We may be one of the leading budget gym chains in the UK but there’s nothing budget about our investment into our people. We have retained GOLD in our investors in people award for the last 6 years and were awarded silver in wellbeing last year. We’re also recognised as a disability confident and inclusive employer which is something we are truly proud of.
We have been through some great and positive change recently from our shiny new "super G" logo to our exciting digital projects and our plans are to keep being innovative, creative and agile in all that we do and we want to do that sustainably.
We hire people with real passion, positivity and enthusiasm who motivate and inspire those around them. Our vision is to have a diverse, high performing, engaged workforce that love what they do!
We have a brilliant team and opportunities for development and growth with support for success. We don't want to stand still, we're growing, innovating and adapting, we're with you to reach you career goals too.
Our Journey So Far
- The Gym Group was born in Hounslow with our first gym opening 3 months after John Treharne started this brilliant business with Bridges Ventures. We launched with 5000+ members – A great start to our journey!
- We hit gym 16 and welcomed our 100000th member.
- We were awarded our very first INVESTORS IN PEOPLE accreditation.
- We partnered with Phoenix Capital Partners who bought a majority share of our business.
- We celebrated our 55th gym opening and our growing membership base hit 300000!
- The Gym Group PLC were admitted to the full list on the London Stock Exchange!
- We successfully opened gym 100 in Feltham and saw our 100,000,000th workout!
- We made some exciting acquisitions from Lifestyle Fitness and EasyGym.
- We started the year with 156 gyms and over 750,000 members and we reshaped our gym teams with a brand-new staffing model.
We entered 2020 excited about what the year would bring but instead the world was hit by COVID-19! Our Gym teams worked hard to quickly close our gym doors for the first time since they had opened and Gym Support set about taking care of our people, ensuring the wellbeing of our teams.
As soon as it was safe to do so, we threw our doors open and welcomed our members back to our clean, safe gyms and our VERY excited gym teams. We opened gym 183 and we launched some really exciting internal platforms and early careers programs.
We developed our Kickstart program and welcomed over 150 young people into our gyms to train as Fitness Trainers and 5 more to work in Gym Support roles. We continued our work with our teams supporting wellbeing and launched our D&I Manifesto as well as our ED&I Focus groups internally.
We ended the year with a big bang opening our 200th gym!
- We are just getting started – we have exciting plans for growth, continued development and enhancement of our teams and more awards – oh yeah did we mention we were recognised as the best in our industry in the UK as an employer and #25 in the Top 50 places to work in the UK? We are really proud of this as its based on our employees’ experiences so it’s truly awesome!
230 Nationwide gyms and counting…
As the original provider of low-cost gym facilities, we are constantly working to bring new opportunities for our members and our teams.
We now operate 230 sites across all regions of the UK, and we don’t plan on stopping there. There remains a significant opportunity for future growth and in the coming years we plan to expand and grow our gyms even further so watch this space.