We are the UK’s best value 24/7 Gym and we have the best teams working with us. We’re not like any other gym company; we are The Gym Group, a place where you can #BeYouWithUs and perform to your absolute best. We are successful; by membership we’re the 2nd largest gym business in the UK and the 4th largest in Europe. We hire people with real passion, positivity and enthusiasm which motivates and inspires those around them. Our vision is to have a diverse, high performing, engaged workforce that love what they do!
We actively invest in our employees; it’s so important to us that our people can thrive in our environment and can make the most of the flexibility and support we offer to all of our teams. You don’t have to take our word for it either - We have held the prestigious Investors in People Gold Award for 2 years and were recent winners of an amazing award for all of the work and support we did through the pandemic. We have been recognised as #1 in our industry by Glass Door and #25 in the Top 50 Best Places to work in 2022 which is all down to our great leaders and exceptional teams.
We are proud of our people whether they work in our gyms or in Gym Support at our East Croydon HQ. We are industry leading; YOU want to be a part of that, we know you do! So come #BeYOUWithUs!
Our Journey So Far
- The Gym Group was born in Hounslow with our first gym opening 3 months after John Treharne started this brilliant business with Bridges Ventures. We launched with 5000+ members – A great start to our journey!
- We hit gym 16 and welcomed our 100000th member.
- We were awarded our very first INVESTORS IN PEOPLE accreditation.
- We partnered with Phoenix Capital Partners who bought a majority share of our business.
- We celebrated our 55th gym opening and our growing membership base hit 300000!
- The Gym Group PLC were admitted to the full list on the London Stock Exchange!
- We successfully opened gym 100 in Feltham and saw our 100,000,000th workout!
- We made some exciting acquisitions from Lifestyle Fitness and EasyGym.
- We started the year with 156 gyms and over 750,000 members and we reshaped our gym teams with a brand-new staffing model.
We entered 2020 excited about what the year would bring but instead the world was hit by COVID-19! Our Gym teams worked hard to quickly close our gym doors for the first time since they had opened and Gym Support set about taking care of our people, ensuring the wellbeing of our teams.
As soon as it was safe to do so, we threw our doors open and welcomed our members back to our clean, safe gyms and our VERY excited gym teams. We opened gym 183 and we launched some really exciting internal platforms and early careers programs.
We developed our Kickstart program and welcomed over 150 young people into our gyms to train as Fitness Trainers and 5 more to work in Gym Support roles. We continued our work with our teams supporting wellbeing and launched our D&I Manifesto as well as our ED&I Focus groups internally.
We ended the year with a big bang opening our 200th gym!
- We are just getting started – we have exciting plans for growth, continued development and enhancement of our teams and more awards – oh yeah did we mention we were recognised as the best in our industry in the UK as an employer and #25 in the Top 50 places to work in the UK? We are really proud of this as its based on our employees’ experiences so it’s truly awesome!
207 Nationwide gyms and counting…
As the original provider of low-cost gym facilities, we are constantly working to bring new opportunities for our members and our teams.
We now operate 207 sites across all regions of the UK, and we don’t plan on stopping there. There remains a significant opportunity for future growth and in the coming years we plan to expand and grow our gyms even further so watch this space.